Saturday, September 11, 2010

Aubrey's Birth Story





Aubrey made her grand appearance one week early (to the day) on August 26th at 4:25am.  She weighed in at 7lbs, 1 oz and was 19 inches long. Such a difference from Bryce's tiny five and a half pounds!  

I think most everyone has heard the story but I wanted to get it down here as well since I don't journal.  This silly little blog is where all of our memories get recorded.  Basically, I'm saying this is going to be a LONG, detailed post.  My apologies ahead of time...

I woke up at 2:30am on Thursday morning for my second nightly visit to the bathroom.  The minute I got out of bed I noticed some light cramping- not unlike what I had been dealing with for the last 6 weeks.  So I shrugged it off, made my trip to the bathroom and crawled back into bed.  Then I felt the cramping again. And again.  Uh, oh. I realized the cramps were coming in a pattern, about every 5 minutes.  I thought that was pretty odd, since the cramping was totally bearable and just like the ones I had with Bryce nine hours before he decided to show up.  I began to wonder if I simply didn't drink enough water that day (which can cause cramping).  I headed down to the kitchen and chugged a glass of water, got back into bed and laid on my left side (cuz that's the side they tell you to lay on).  When the cramps still didn't go away I figured I ought to pack my hospital bag (yeah, I hadn't done that yet.  I sorta figured I'd have HOURS again like I had with Bryce).  At that point I decided I should call mom and wake up Brian.  It was about 3am.  I wanted to really make sure I was really in labor before I woke anyone up at that time of the morning...

Brian has a habit of freaking out when he gets woken up in the middle of the night.  So I decided to approach the topic delicately and said "Um, don't freak out, but I think I'm in labor."  He seemed a bit dazed, replied with an "OK" and rolled over.  I guess I didn't sound serious.  "Um, that means you need to get ready to take me to the hospital."  He jumped up, started to get his gear together and I decided to take a shower.  Yup.  A shower  (hey, I did that with Bryce, too.  Remember, I had HOURS).  While enjoying the hot water I noticed the contractions were getting stronger.  You know, the kind where you have to stop doing whatever you're doing to breathe.  It was about 3:15am and I couldn't believe how fast things were progressing-not at all like when I was laboring with Bryce.  I quickly realized I better get my butt in gear and stop dilly-dallying.  By 3:30am I was downstairs, on all fours, trying to not wake up Bryce with my moaning/groaning.  At 3:45am I asked Brian to call my mom and figure out where she was.  I was starting to worry that Brian would be delivering our baby on the living room floor...

Luckily, my mom was pretty close to our house.  Brian packed up the car and I waited by the front door.  In lots of pain.  Trying to be quiet.  When mom got there I barely said two words to her and rushed out to the car.  Sitting in the passenger seat was not comfortable.  At all.  It was the longest 4.4 mile drive of my life (and Brian's).  That was with Brian running 2 red lights and driving about 20 miles over the speed limit.  We actually passed a cop driving the opposite direction.  We both nervously watched our rear view mirrors to see if he was going to turn around and chase us down.  I don't know what we would have done if he had pulled us over...

During the drive, my contractions increased in frequency.  They were now coming about 2 minutes apart.  Crap.  When we got to the hospital I was in the middle of a contraction, so I sent Brian in ahead of me.  When I got out of the car I was met by, I dunno, the ER greeter?  Who so nicely asked if my water had broken.  When I said no, she said (in a sickeningly sweet voice), "Oh then you just need to RELAX.  You have LOTS of time if your water hasn't broken."  At that moment I wished I was Cyclops (from X-Men) so I could shoot my laser beam eyes at her.  I had to check in and was having contractions in the middle of spelling my name and giving them my address.  I honestly can't believe they didn't just rush me to Labor and Delivery, especially since I had pre-registered.  Isn't that why you do that???

Finally, they sent me upstairs.  In a wheelchair.  Yeah, like sitting in a wheelchair works when you're having contractions.  Bad contractions.  Like, I'm ready to push contractions.  Plus, the lady pushing me was taking her sweet time.  I wanted to yell, "let my super-fit, sub 6 minute-mile running husband run my upstairs lady.  I am not interested in taking a Sunday stroll.  I'M IN LABOR AND ON FIRE."  Did you know that it feels like you're on fire?  I had an epidural with Bryce so this was all new to me.   She rolled me right into OB triage and asked me if I wanted to go to the bathroom.  No, I want to push this baby out, though.  I'm pretty sure I was moaning/groaning/screaming loudly enough for the whole L&D wing to hear me.  Oh, the poor women in early labor getting an earful of what was about to come...The charge nurse rushed in and said "Get her into a room!"  Thank goodness somebody could tell I meant business.  This baby was on her way!

I crawled up on the bed and had a hard time cooperating with getting the fetal monitor around my belly.  I was too squirmy.  My contractions felt like the were coming nonstop and I told the nurse I felt like I wanted to push.  She took a quick look and said, "You're at a 9! And you're water just broke."  She then yelled down the hall to my midwife (who was laboring with another momma-thank goodness or she never would have made it to catch my baby!).  Ramona (midwife) came in and told me the baby would be here in less than 10 minutes.  She and the other nurses started to glove up and I heard "I can see her head Doreen!  It'll just be a couple of pushes and she'll be here!"  I'm pretty sure I said, "What??!!?!?!?!"  I couldn't believe it. Brian couldn't believe it.  We had just gotten to the hospital!  There was no time for any kind of drugs or even an IV for hydration.  And man. Oh man. Did I want drugs!  First push.  Head was out.  Push #2.  Out came the shoulders.  Third push.  She was out and in my arms.  

Wow.  Wow.  Wow!  I honestly couldn't believe how fast it happened.  I also couldn't believe how great I felt when it was over.  I gotta say, a natural birth hurts like you-know-what, but it is pretty darn amazing to be so lucid and feel so great when it's over.  Just before 9am Brian headed home to take Bryce to preschool and then have a nap.  After preschool, he brought Bryce to the hospital to meet his sister.  When he saw her for the first time, the look on his face was so sweet.  He seemed genuinely happy and I was so happy to give him a big hug and kiss (that was the first time I had been away from him overnight!).  Aubrey gave him a really cool fire engine that goes with his Thomas trains.  He was ecstatic!  I think that sealed the deal and he decided his new sister was pretty darn cool.

I had hoped we would get to go home Friday afternoon.  My bubble burst when Aubrey failed her bilirubin test.  Just like Bryce, she had to spend time under the blue lights in the nursery.  It seems like no big deal, but it really sucks.  They whisk her away and she can only come out to eat every three hours, for just 30 minutes at a time.  Only getting to love on your baby for 30 minutes at a time, so quickly after giving birth, really sucks.  Unfortunately, we had to stay at the hospital until Sunday.  Honestly, we should have stayed longer.  The visit to our pediatrician on Monday delivered the news that she would have to have light therapy at home since her levels had actually increased since being off the lights.  Urgh.  It was back to feeding every three hours and holding for only 30 minutes.  At least we were at home so I was more comfortable and could spend time with Bryce, too.  We had the "bili-blanket" for a whole week and although she's still a bit yellow, she's doing well.  

Wow.  That was the longest blog post ever...


At least I warned you...


7 comments:

Mary said...

What a great read! I am glad that you have it written down before any of the information is forgotten. Aubrey has an unique birth story for sure! Glad that she is doing well.

Jeanne said...

Welcome to the world Aubrey! What an exciting story!

Alana said...

wow! when she was ready, she was ready! she is beautiful! great job guys!

Betsy B. said...

Natural drug free child birth. Yeah, there's no preparation for that. But you're right, once it's over you feel great! Feels good to know you don't have to do it again too, right? :)

Love you.

Brian said...

Can I just say I am glad we are done with this. I think this was a difficult pregnancy for you, so at least this part was quick and over with. I am also amazed at how quick you recovered. You are doing an awesome job. Love you!

Tyler and Monica Runia said...

I'm so glad you posted this cuz I didn't hear the story. How amazing! I always worried that I'd get to the hospital too late to get the epidural...I'm sure it made you a tougher woman! Great job and cute cute baby!!!

Ami said...

I loved reading your birth story! It was great to visit her in the hospital and made me very excited for my little munchkin to come into the world.
It was fun visiting you the other day to, RJ loves his first "girlfriend". Miss ya!