Sunday, August 30, 2009

Mmmm. Meatloaf.

Meatloaf. You either love it or hate it. I found a crock pot recipe the other day and had to try it out. Yummy! Even Bryce liked it (which is pretty darn impressive for our herbivore).


INGREDIENTS

  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
  • 2 teaspoons dried minced onion (I used about half of a fresh onion)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I used 3/4lb extra lean ground beef and 3/4 lb lean ground turkey)
  • **I added some summer squash into the mix. Great way to sneak in some veggies!**
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well (mixture will be moist.) Shape into a round loaf; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Spoon over the meat loaf. Cook 15 minutes longer or until heated through (I transferred it to the oven for these last few minutes). Let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
This is, of course, super juicy. If you don't have one of those fancy inserts (I don't) you can criss-cross tinfoil to create handles. They made it super easy to pull out the loaf and transfer it to the oven.

The recipe was taken from here, at Allrecipes.com.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

Thanks for the recipe. I think I will give this a try!

Alana said...

we love meatloaf! I love how juicy it gets in the crockpot! I just might have to make it for dinner this week you got me in the mood for it now :0)

Doreen said...

I made this again last night and added carrots instead of zucchini. Super yummy! Even better than the first time, I think...