Friday, April 02, 2010

My Favorite Summer Salad

Ok, this is seriously yummy and super easy. You HAVE to try it. I think this serves as a perfect introduction to quinoa (for those of you crazies who haven't given it a try yet). I got the recipe here: allrecipes.com. Since it's so simple, I'll cut and paste it for your viewing pleasure:



Ingredients

* 1 cup quinoa
* 2 cups chicken broth
* 2 avocados
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 large tomato, diced
* 1/2 cucumber, diced
* 2 stalks celery, diced
* Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. In medium saucepan, cook quinoa according to package directions, using chicken broth in place of water. Let cool. Cut avocados in half, remove pit and peel. Cut into chunks. Toss with lemon juice. Add avocado and all remaining ingredients to quinoa and toss gently to mix. Chill until ready to serve.

There you go. Enjoy!

Oh, and I promise I'll post some adorable pics of Bryce soon. This move has knocked me off the blogging train...again...

3 comments:

Alana said...

I am going to try this sometime soon. I love quinoa but dave doesnt. maybe I can sneak it in:0)
Can't wait to see some new pics! Miss you!

Betsy B. said...

I'm excited to try this one. We made a different quinoa salad last summer that was awesome. I'll have to find the recipe for you. I read somewhere though that you're supposed to rinse it before you cook it, but I don't remember why. Do you know anything about that?

Doreen said...

Please pass your recipe along, Betsy. I'd love to eat quinoa more often, but it's hard to find recipes that we ALL like.

The rinsing has to do with its natural coating. I'm not sure what it is, but it's supposed to be bitter tasting.