There are many perks to buying a new home. New toilet seats for instance. Showers free of soap scum build up (they were, anway). New carpet so you don't have to wonder if someone puked/peed/pooped on it. Then there are the drawbacks...dirt for the backyard and only dirt, is perhaps the biggest.
The dirt didn't bother Bryce one bit. In fact, he loved it. I didn't really enjoy him coming inside a filthy mess, though. Landscaping is no cheap endeavor, so it took a couple of months to get things done. We, and by we I mean Brian, had to do things in stages. He started with the garden so the plants would be set before the intense heat arrived. Next were the citrus trees, ash and olive tree. We had some help with the grass, pavers, and irrigation system. Once the irrigation was worked out Brian was able to plant various ground covers and shrubs around the yard. The final step happened last weekend when my amazing husband hauled 10 tons of rock, by himself. Wow. We still have a small space we want to create an uncovered patio in so there is a bit of dirt left, but the overall transformation is amazing. We were as economically minded as possible and started with small plants, but you get the idea. Next year, things will look even better when things have filled out a bit.
I am so thankful for Brian's interest in gardening. I don't lift a finger and yet I get to enjoy the fruits of his labor. I'm one lucky gal (I did not pick up a green thumb from my mom)! I am also so thankful to have a yard that Bryce loves to explore. He uses his dumptrucks to haul rocks around and loves to help Brian with whatever he is working on. I love watching him follow his dad around the yard. It's pretty stinking cute. I love the men in my life!
Here are some pictures showing the transformation. The only shot I don't have is of the backyard from day one, just dirt. But, I'm sure you can use your imagination :)
7 comments:
You got some great pictures. Your back yard looks so good! I still can't believe your husband moved all that rock in just the few days that he did.
looks great! great job Brian..and Bryce!
Great pic's. It will be fun to look at the growth in the yard and Bryce in the future. Yup, you are a lucky woman! Brian is a hard worker! Great job Brian! Can't wait to see how your garden grows.
Did you guys plant your veggies as seeds or did you buy bigger plants? It looks amazing! I'm sure I need to visit. :)
I meant I need to visit...in the Winter. I don't want to be there in the heat!!
Betsy, we did starter plants for the tomatoes, zucchini and cucumber. We planted seeds for corn, beans, and more cucumber.
Would be great if you could visit. We should visit you in the summer.
WOW! Very nice! I too lack the green thumb gene, but I love gardens. The yard looks great! Good job!
Post a Comment